Tuesday 4th December 2018 was the date of our annual ‘industry day’ event organised for students on the MSc Data Science programme. The event invites speakers from various sectors in industry to share their experiences with utilising machine learning, AI and data science for applications within their domain. This year speakers from 6 organisations presented at the event:
· Billy Blythe, Head of Data Science, Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
· Leanne Fitzpatrick, Head of Data, Hello Soda
· Lauren Rodgers, Data Scientist, and Tom Liptrot, Head of Data Science, Peak.ai
· Lisa Clark, Data Scientist, Virgin Media Business (VMB)
· Ben Chamberlain, Head of Machine Learning, AOS.com
· Hayden Sansum, Senior Data Scientist, Ministry of Justice (MoJ)
Speakers discussed various topics such as the challenges, benefits and technologies involved in utilising data-driven analytical methods; current technological trends; and what role data scientists play within their organisations. Many examples were provided including analysing the behaviours of customers in debt (VMB), targeted delivery of services (DWP), supply chain optimisation (ASOS) and transformations in the criminal and justice system (MoJ). Particularly pleasing to hear from was Lauren Rodgers, a former student on the MSc Data Science programme who now works as Data Scientist for Peak.ai and shared her experiences of working life post-MSc course.